Monday, January 24, 2011

Dear Other Beth

I have lots to write later about this weekend including a wonderful bridal shower and many fun visitors. In the meantime, here is a brief funny story:

Austin's Aunt Maud tried to e-mail me about the wedding, and she received this response:

Quoting Beth Shapiro:

> Hi Maud,
> I'm getting pretty excited about this wedding. I think I've even seen the
> proofs for the invitations! Unfortunately, I'm not actually the Beth Shapiro
> who's getting married. Just thought you might want to check the email address
> and re-send your note.
> Best,
> (a different) Beth

It turns out that a different Beth Shapiro (one who is an accomplished professor of zoology at Penn State) has been receiving some of my e-mails and is very in the know when it comes to our wedding plans. Ha! So I wrote the other Beth Shapiro an e-mail apologizing for the mix up, to which she kindly replied:

No worries at all! As you know, it's quite a common name. I regularly get e-mails from New Orleans, Philadelphia, southern California and Tennessee. I feel like I'm living vicarious lives -- and the emails are often a welcome break from my own dull details. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and good luck getting everything together! Now that I know your address, I'll just forward you anything else I get that is obviously meant for you...
(You're not on an admissions team for U Penn, are you?)
best,
Beth

What a funny exchange! In fact I am supposed to be on the local admissions team for Penn to interview applicants, but I have never received any e-mails about it.

Anyway,  note to all those out there trying to reach the real Beth Shapiro, soon to be married to Austin Lavin, by e-mail: it's bethRshapiro(at)gmail(dot)com. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha! And there's another Austin and Beth out there impersonating you guys:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJ7tqrmnpY

    ReplyDelete